One of the important developments in public health in recent years has been implementation of multidrug therapy(MDT) to cure all leprosy patients.
Leprosy is classified into paucibacillary or multibacillary leprosy. 1-5 patches and involvement of 1 trunk nerve– it is paucibacillary leprosy. More than 5 patches and involvement of more than 1 nerve– it is multibacillary leprosy. Treatment: PB regimen for 6 months. MB regimen for 12 months. Patient can develop reactions, which are part of the natural course of the disease.
When treatment is not prompt, in later stage, leprosy disease manifest in different form.
Facilities available to treat Complication in leprosy
- Identify difficult to diagnose cases of leprosy – we have facilities like Skin Smear and Histopathology
- Management of drug allergy – serious drug allergies are tackled and alternative regimens provided to the patient
- Recognizing relapses – in addition to the above facilities, we have Mouse Foot Pad facility
- Managing serious leprosy reactions – we have IP and OP facilities providing excellent medical and nursing care. Physiotherapists are available for helping patients with neuritis – providing static and dynamic splints and exercises
- Rehabilitation Surgery – Reconstructive Surgery and follow-up done by surgeons and physiotherapists. (Decompression of nerve for neuritis, lagophthalmos correction, clawing correction, foot drop correction, ulcer management)
- Physiotherapists – Provision of sensory and motor assessment, exercise, splinting, plastering, self care teaching, modalities, pairing(callosity removing). Splint for hand – Neuritis splints, gutter splints, knuckle bender splint, long flexor slab, thumb web splint, cylindrical splint, functional slab, lumbrical slab.
Leg – BK with BI cast. MDRS POP, Window POP. Foot drop – below knee posterior slab.
- Orthopaedic work shop – MCR chappals for anesthetic foot, Medial Arch Support for flat foot, Anterior spring shoe for foot drop, special foot wear for deformed foot.
- POD services – training patients in self care practice so that patients with permanent Nerve Function Impairment (NFI) can practice life long self care
- Occupational Therapy – Vocational training related to their work. Training to handle the assistive devices for deformed extremities. Foot soak, Trimming of callous are provided.
- Social Work – Socio economic assistance to the needy leprosy affected patients, Health education, counseling and guidance are done. Railway concession form given to needy leprosy patient.
- Leprosy patient’s psychological need – patients are counseled for feeling, thought, given solution for particular problem, eg. depression, sadness, anxiety. Provide assessment. Drug administered. Anti psychotic drug – anti depression, anti anxiety.
Training services – training Government and NGO personnel (DLO / SLO Medical Officers, Physiotherapists and Paramedical staff)
Research – clinical and operational researches are carried out to identify the cause of relapse drug resistance and disease transformation